For a long time I didn't realise I have a dogwood in my garden. In fact, it was only after pruning back a laurel tree last week that I noticed there was another tree next to it. At first it was difficult to identify:
It was only after I pruned a couple of branches that I spotted the tell-tale red shoots of common dogwood. They were too high to be noticeable, so I decided to take some drastic action to re-establish the plant. I cut it pretty much down to ground level, the first picture below shows how much I took off:
It won't look like much over the winter but hopefully next year I should get some lovely vivid stems!